Reader Faye Mac writes:
“I was wondering if you had any recommendations for natural hair products. I’m newly natural and am still kind of fumbling my way around…let me know your thoughts.”
- Suave Coconut Conditioner is used for co-washes. A co-wash is simply washing your hair with conditioner. You don’t want to leave this type of conditioner in your hair because it will dry it out. You can use cheap conditioners for your co-washes – brands like Suave and V05.
- For comb-out and detangling I like to use Herbal Essence Hello Hydration. This product has done quite well for me and it smells really good. It is okay to leave this type of conditioner in as it is moisture-based. I also like Tresemme Moisture Rich.
- Deep Conditioners are great for minimizing damage to the hair, restoring shine and it also strengthens the hair. Right now I am using Pantene Relaxed and Natural Deep Conditioning Mask.
- You always want to put a leave-in conditioner in your hair so my go to product is SheaMoisture Shea Butter. Leave-Ins are important because they add moisture to the hair and also it helps eliminate flakes from styling gels. I also use DevaCare One which provides a light hold. I’m not a big fan of the DevaCare but other people love it. I have a big bottle of it so I will continue to use it until it runs out.
- As far as styling cremes or for curl definition I really like to use IC Fantasia Gel. It is cheap and affordable and it defines my curls like no other. I’ve also used Miss Jessies from the Curly Meringue to the Curly Stretchy Creme to the Curly Pudding. All of the products work but the IC gel is just as good.
The products listed above were my staples for 2009. Let’s help Faye Mac get off to good start as a Natural Newbie. If you are natural what products are you using for your hair?